YOUTH EMPOWERMENT; A PANACEA TO YOUTH RESTIVENESS IN NIGERIA.
Youth empowerment and development is a major remedy to youth restiveness in Nigeria, like the popular adage an “idle mind is a devil’s workshop”. When the development and welfare of the youths are not put into deep consideration, the country and it’s future will be in jeopardy.
Youths are the Future of a country and a nation and if they are not properly equipped or empowered with the right standard, there is bound to be chaos.
Nigeria like most developing countries of the world has a teeming population of youths who are faced with myriad of problems realities which include poverty, conflicts, disease, and particularly unemployment.
The economic implication of this unhealthy climate has left the youths in a vicious cycle of poverty that daily erodes their self-confidence and bright future. However, it is the right time at this critcal age/ stage to teach them the concept, principles, and theories of entrepreneurship to help them learn wealth and employment creation.
This is because the youth of today automatically becomes the leader of tomorrow and for tomorrow to be more fruitful, we must give today’s youth proper education and training (This is where Youth empowerment comes to work)
Youth empowerment is an attitudinal, structural, and cultural process whereby young people gain the ability, authority, and agency to make decisions and implement changes in their own lives and the lives of other people. In other words empowering the youths mean creating and supporting the enabling conditions under which young people can act on their own behalf, and on their own term, rather than at the discretion of others.
Empowerment means reducing vulnerability and dependency.
Youth empowerment is very important and vital for the growth and success of any country, because without the youth the society won’t stand neither will it be balanced. Youths have very vibrant mind and energy that needs to be channeled into a great course , they need to be empowered and kept busy for better results and growth.
In other to eradicate youth restiveness all hands must be on deck to curb this increase meanance. The parents, school teachers ,the government must all come together to curb youth restiveness and this can be achieved by empowering and developing the youths.
The reasons why Youth empowerment and development is an important tool to curb youth restiveness are:
- When the youths are empowered they tend to channel all their energy and focus on that which pays them.
- The high rate and level of crimes like (ritual killing, robbery, vandalizing and destruction of lives and properties, terrorism etc) will reduce drastically.
- when the youths are also empowered the goal of poverty eradication will be met. This is because by the virture of empowerment they can do well and fend for themselves on their own.
- when the youths are well empowered and well equipped with the right values the future of a Nation is secured.
- The youths are the Future of a country and as such, when they are developed the country will be developed too.
- The youths will be independent and they can in turn empower other youths. Thereby make things easier and better for the country
In Conclusion, Youth empowerment is very importance to both the nation and the empowered. With youth empowerment, the future prosperity of the nation is secured because these are the people that will take care of many functions and sustain the democracy in the country, because the youth are the leaders of tomorrow.
Nigeria as a nation should empower and develop its youths, Nigeria should invest heavily in empowerment, education, health, infrastructural, leadership education and development of it’s youth .These will in turn reduce the rate of illiteracy, unemployment, criminality, insecurity and violence.
By Nwokedimkpa Chidera